There’s bad news for raw pet food after 12 dogs have died and 45 have been sickened
There’s bad news for raw pet food after 12 dogs have died and 45 have been sickened from severe liver disease in Australia. After ruling out infections, canine leptospirosis, ehrlichiosus and aflatoxins, the source has been found to be tainted fresh and frozen meat from a specific source.
At PURELUXE, we know how important a healthy diet is for your dog or cat, and we understand that many pet parents are looking into raw diets like their pet’s wild ancestors might have consumed. However, accounts like this one in Australia and others have shown the health risks of raw diets. These diets are not subject to the same stringent safety requirements that modern pet foods are required to meet. They don’t undergo the same amount of safety testing, and they also aren’t carefully balanced to meet your pet’s dietary needs. According to the CDC, germs like salmonella and listeria have been found in raw pet foods – even those sold in stores. As such, the CDC does not recommend feeding raw diets to pet. In addition, it’s almost certain that every batch of meat isn’t tested – unlike PURELUXE that tests every batch of food that it produces for pathogens such as Salmonella.
When it comes to food safety, be on the lookout for any loss of appetite, lethargy and jaundice in your pet. If you see these things, head to your vet immediately. However, it’s important to start with your pet’s food when thinking about food safety. Look for pet food companies that are transparent about their safety testing and nutrition. Also, make sure the ingredients are top notch without any additives or fillers. PURELUXE exemplifies all of these things and even offers transparency reports that detail testing of individual batches of food. Learn more about us at pureluxepetfood.com.